If you’re aged between 40 and 74, you may be eligible for a free NHS Health Check that can help you live a longer and healthier life.
All GP practices within North Yorkshire are now offering the NHS Health Check to eligible people who are registered with the practice. Speak to your local GP Receptionist to find out more about an NHS Health Check.
What is the NHS Health Check?
The NHS Health Check programme aims to help prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease. Everyone between the ages of 40 and 74, who has not already been diagnosed with one of these conditions, will be invited (once every five years) to have a check to assess their risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and diabetes and will be given support and advice to help them reduce or manage that risk.
What happens at an NHS Health Check?
- The check takes up to 30 minutes
- You’ll be asked some simple questions about your family history and any medication you’re taking
- Your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity will be recorded
- Your blood pressure will be taken
- A simple blood test will be done to check your cholesterol and, in some cases, your blood sugar level
- You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle
The Health Video provided is for information only. The contents of the Health Videos, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials (“Content”) are provided for reference only and any telephone numbers or websites other than our own should be disregarded.