Hunmanby Surgery

01723 890280

Temporary Residents

If you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register again as a temporary or permanent patient.

If you do not have a permanent address in our catchment area, you will need to register as a temporary resident and complete a GMS3 form and contact our reception team to book an appointment. You will need to provide us with information about your medical history.

You can register as a temporary resident with a GP in England if you are in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than 3 months.

To register as a temporary patient, simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

For further information, visit NHS Choices

Can I be seen if I am ill?

Hunmanby Surgery is happy to see you on an “immediate and necessary” basis. For example, if you become ill whilst on holiday with tonsilitis or an ear infection. Last year we had over 130 temporary residents needing treatment. For this reason alone, we will not – under any circumstances – see temporary residents for routine matters (this includes ear syringing, travel and child immunisations, cervical smears and anything that is not considered urgent).

To help us cope with the number of temporary residents needing treatment, please contact reception who will go through all the necessary details with you. We may arrange a triage by telephone from one of our clinicians.

I’ve ran out/forgotten my medication…

If you are staying in our catchment area and discover you are without your medication, we are able to issue you with an emergency supply. You are also able to contact your own GP who can send a prescription electronically to a local nominated pharmacy of your choice.

Controlled Drugs

We have a very strict policy in terms of Controlled Drug issue and we will not issue them unless we have confirmation from your own GP

Examples of these include:-







  • Complete GMS3 form
  • Bring a form of identification with you
  • Bring proof of the medication you are taking; i.e. an empty pill packet or copy of your repeat prescription
  • If you do not have either of these you will need to contact your surgery and get them to email us a copy of your repeat prescription as proof. Our email address is